Summertime Walk on the Wildside
A walk around the lake at this time of year takes on a renewed excitement with the explosion of plant and animal life reaching its peak. This article takes you on a journey around the lake suggesting some interesting natural
The League of Friends
Formed in 1998, the League of Friends currently has over 150 members from all over the world. The volunteers arrange various fundraising activities including the spectacular sound and light show every Guy Fawkes night, along with classic car shows
John Rennie (Engineer)
John Rennie (1761 – 1821) was a Scottish civil engineer. He was the son of an East Lothian farmer, taking an interest in mechanical works at a young age. He matriculated from Edinburgh university which he left in 1783.
The Activity Centre
With the opening of The Visitor’s Centre in 2001 Rudyard Lake received much positive press coverage and relatively local people from places such as Congleton and Macclesfield “rediscovered” the Lake on their doorstep, a place which previously had something of
With the arrival of the North Staffs Railway in 1849 the Directors saw the great potential for Rudyard to become a tourist destination. They invested very heavily in Rudyard, building two stations and purchasing the bailiff’s house and converting it in to a hotel
The famous author Rudyard Kipling owes his name to Rudyard Lake. His father John Lockwood Kipling was working in Burslem and met Alice MacDonald in 1863 and courted her at Rudyard Lake in Rudyard, Staffordshire. Alice was one of the
A collection of videos about Rudyard Lake. These range from Rudyard’s TV appearances, various documentaries, home movies and events at the lake..
For its first fifty or so years the reservoir must have been a tranquil place with perhaps just a few local landowners and a small number of people walking to the lake from local villages and towns.
History of the Dam
The Dam was designed by John Rennie and construction started in 1797 with Hugh Henshall as resident engineer. Shortly after the Dam was completed, cracks were found at its ends necessitating the Dam to be extended with wings at
Rudyard Railway Station
Rudyard railway station served Rudyard, Staffordshire and was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) in 1850 on the Churnet Valley line.