Hotels, Hostels and Hostelries
The North Staffs Railway Traffic Committee decided in October 1850 to convert the existing water bailiff’s house into an inn which we know today as the Hotel Rudyard and also to erect a cottage for the labourers at Rudyard; this
This is a small sample of some of the many postcards of Rudyard Lake and its surroundings. Many date from the early 20th Century. Some have been hand coloured..
Schools of Rudyard
Horton St Michael’s is a small rural village First School set in the heart of the Staffordshire Moorlands, close to Leek. It currently has 82 pupils on roll, from a varied catchment of mixed socio-economic groups, largely consisting of a farming community, drawing on the
History of Rudyard
The village of Rudyard as we know it today is largely the result of the creation, at the end of the 18th century, of a reservoir in the valley drained by the Dunsmore Brook, to supply the Caldon Canal.
Churches of Rudyard
Rudyard falls within the parish of Horton but has always shown an independent streak in denominational preferences. Quaker house meetings were held in the area in the 17th century and the first Methodist society was formed at Bank House in
The Rudyard Lake archive has many pictures of the people who have lived round the lake over the years, from the more prominent residents like Fanny Bostock and the Reverend Boothman of Cliffe Park Hall to the ordinary folk in more modest
Houses of Rudyard
Rudyard village consists primarily of four roads which meet at the mini-roundabout in front of what was the Railway Hotel, a location known in the past as Harper’s Gate.