Hotels, Hostels and Hostelries
The North Staffs Railway Traffic Committee decided in October 1850 to convert the existing water bailiff’s house into an inn which we know today as the Hotel Rudyard and also to erect a cottage for the labourers at Rudyard; this is now a private dwelling.
In 1869, a Mr Henry Platt took over the tenancy and under his management the hotel was considerably enlarged by the addition of a new wing which contained a splendid ballroom.
Other entertainment was provided using the grounds for archery, bowls, quoits and velocipedes. Along with this, dinner, teas and other refreshments were provided. During the early 1900s an extra floor was added.
In March 2015 the Hotel Rudyard was sold and is now under a new management who plan to improve the facilities and convert some of the outside buildings into tourist accommodation.
Another hotel, originally known as the Railway Hotel was built in the 1890s at the entrance to the village facing Dunwood Lane. This was later renamed as the Station Hotel. There is a foundation stone in the older part of the building which dates back to 1610. The hotel boasted a crown green bowling green along with a clubhouse.
The hotel was purchased by the Chesters-Thompson brewery and substantially enlarged by the early 1900s. Over the years, the name was changed to The Poacher’s Tavern and latterly to The Galleon. The building has now been converted to a number of private apartments.
Cliffe Park Hall
Cliffe Park Hall opened it’s doors as a youth hostel on the 1st June, 1933. Rudyard Lake Hostel proved to be one of the YHA’s more popular venues.
After the second world war the hostel was in dire need of renovation. The new owners, British Rail, were unwilling to do that without significantly increasing the rent so the YHA began negotiations to take it over. They finally succeeded in September 1955 and promptly started work.
It wasn’t until 6th July 1958 that the hostel was re-opened with great fanfare by the Lord Mayor of Manchester, the re-opening coinciding with the hostel’s silver jubilee. It continued as a Youth Hostel until 1969 when it was sold to Brian Dalley who lived there until his death in 2015.