Earl of Macclesfield Boathouse
The Earl of Macclesfield Boathouse was built in the 1850’s for the Earl’s use and is the oldest boathouse on the lake.
The Earl of Macclesfield owned a considerable amount of land and farms off to the East of the Lake.
It is located on the eastern shore at the southern end of the lake.
The interior originally consisted of a small room with windows overlooking both the lake and the boathouse, along with a small fireplace and access to the boathouse.
By the early 1900’s the stepped front gable had collapsed and had been replaced by a timber facing.
The roof, which we believe was originally straw covered, was replaced with corrugated iron. The building remained in an ever deteriorating condition used for a short time to store a steamboat but becoming more and more dilapidated as the years went by.
The building remained in an ever deteriorating condition used for a short time to store a steamboat but became more and more dilapidated as time went by.
The Rudyard Lake Trust agreed a lease for The Earl of Macclesfield boathouse in 2004 with the then British Waterways.
This enabled funding to be drawn from several sources including the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Rudyard Lake League of Friends and the relatives of the late Frank Bradley.
Work commenced to restore it to its original condition with a stepped gable to the front elevation, a new roof.
The building restoration was completed in 2008, with an interior depicting the boating history of the Lake. It is open to the public.