Hotels, Hostels and Hostelries
The North Staffs Railway Traffic Committee decided in October 1850 to convert the existing water bailiff’s house into an inn which we know today as the Hotel Rudyard and also to erect a cottage for the labourers at Rudyard; this
Cliffe Park Hall
Cliffe Park Hall, located on the northwest side of the lake was built by John Haworth in 1811 at a cost of £25,000.
Isaac & Harry Bailey
Both enlisted not long after the war was declared and after a period of training, both were despatched to France, Harry arriving on 26 February 1915 and Ike two months later, on 24 April. Harry, the younger man, had joined
With the arrival of the North Staffs Railway in 1849 the Directors saw the great potential for Rudyard to become a tourist destination. They invested very heavily in Rudyard, building two stations and purchasing the bailiff’s house and converting it in to a hotel
History of Rudyard
The village of Rudyard as we know it today is largely the result of the creation, at the end of the 18th century, of a reservoir in the valley drained by the Dunsmore Brook, to supply the Caldon Canal.
Golf at Rudyard Lake
Rudyard Lake Golf Club was formed in 1906 and was the first golf club in North Staffordshire.
Captain Matthew Webb was the first man to swim the Channel in August 1875. Two years later, on 25 June 1877, he hosted a ‘Grand Aquatic Fete’ at Rudyard which included a demonstration of his channel swim in front of
Churches of Rudyard
Rudyard falls within the parish of Horton but has always shown an independent streak in denominational preferences. Quaker house meetings were held in the area in the 17th century and the first Methodist society was formed at Bank House in
The Rudyard Lake archive has many pictures of the people who have lived round the lake over the years, from the more prominent residents like Fanny Bostock and the Reverend Boothman of Cliffe Park Hall to the ordinary folk in more modest