Rudyard Lake is a man made reservoir and is supplied from a feeder at the north end which runs from the river Dane.
At the south end the dam incorporates a ‘spillway’ which determines the maximum level of the water in the lake;
The North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) was a British railway company formed in 1845 to promote a number of lines in the Staffordshire Potteries and surrounding areas in Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Shropshire.
The village of Rudyard as we know it today is largely the result of the creation, at the end of the 18th century, of a reservoir in the valley drained by the Dunsmore Brook, to supply the Caldon Canal.
The Dam was designed by John Rennie and construction started in 1797 with Hugh Henshall as resident engineer. Shortly after the Dam was completed, cracks were found at its ends necessitating the Dam to be extended with wings at
Rudyard falls within the parish of Horton but has always shown an independent streak in denominational preferences. Quaker house meetings were held in the area in the 17th century and the first Methodist society was formed at Bank House in