The village of Rudyard as we know it today is largely the result of the creation, at the end of the 18th century, of a reservoir in the valley drained by the Dunsmore Brook, to supply the Caldon Canal.
Captain Matthew Webb was the first man to swim the Channel in August 1875. Two years later, on 25 June 1877, he hosted a ‘Grand Aquatic Fete’ at Rudyard which included a demonstration of his channel swim in front of
The Dam was designed by John Rennie and construction started in 1797 with Hugh Henshall as resident engineer. Shortly after the Dam was completed, cracks were found at its ends necessitating the Dam to be extended with wings at
Rudyard falls within the parish of Horton but has always shown an independent streak in denominational preferences. Quaker house meetings were held in the area in the 17th century and the first Methodist society was formed at Bank House in