Rudyard Lake Golf Club was formed in 1906 and was the first golf club in North Staffordshire. Initially a wooden chalet/club house was erected on the north west shore of the lake to cater for the nine hole course. Golfers would arrive mainly by train at the station (later called Cliffe Park Halt) at the north end of the lake. By the early 1920’s, golf and Rudyard in particular were becoming ever more popular. This led to the North Staffordshire Railway, the owners of Cliffe Park Hall, allowing the hall to become a residential club house. The length of the course was increased to eighteen holes but the club closed in 1926 owing to the development of more accessible courses nearer to the towns and cities.