The Earl of Macclesfield Boathouse was built in the 1850’s for the Earl’s use and is the oldest boathouse on the lake. The interior originally consisted of a small room with windows overlooking both the lake and the boathouse, along with a small fireplace and access to the boathouse. By the early 1900’s the stepped front gable had collapsed and had been replaced by a timber facing. The roof which we believe was originally straw covered was replaced with corrogated iron. The building remained in an ever deteriorating condition used for a short time to store a steamboat but becoming more and more dilapidated as the years went by.
Following negotiations with the then British Waterways in 2005, the Rudyard Lake Trust agreed a lease on the property enabling funding to be drawn from several sources including the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Rudyard Lake League of Friends and the relatives of the late Frank Bradley, the building restoration was completed in 2008 and is now open to the public and provides information on the boating history of the lake. There is a wood burning stove which is lit throughout the winter months and power for the LED lighting is provided from batteries.
The boathouse can be hired for events – phone 07718 808881.