Isaac Bailey
Post
27th May 20153rd June 2015

Isaac Bailey

Ike with some of his fellow soldiers in the 4th Bedfordshires: Another photo of Ike in uniform: A Christmas greeting card Ike sent to his grandmother:

Post
27th May 201519th June 2015

Harry Bailey

This purse was recovered after Harry’s death. This was another of the photos found in his purse, presumably showing the sort of guns his unit employed. The letter below was the one Harry received when he was a awarded a Military Medal: Harry’s Victory and War medals are shown below, awarded posthumously and sent to...

WW1 Remembered
Post
27th May 20153rd June 2015

WW1 Remembered

There are six names of men who died in the Great War on the war memorial in Horton, up by the church in the extended churchyard.  Three are noted as men from Rudyard and two of these were brothers.  Isaac (Ike) and Harry Bailey were living at Harper’s Gate in Rudyard when war broke out;...

The George Lovenbury Collection
Post
7th May 201527th May 2015

The George Lovenbury Collection

George Lovenbury lived in Leek and enjoyed drawing nature close up. In the 1970s – 1990s he produced these delightful sketches of plants, fungi, trees and other wildlife from around Leek and Rudyard. His widow has kindly shared them with The Rudyard Lake Trust and we thought visitors to our website would very much enjoy...

John Haworth
Post
6th May 20153rd June 2015

John Haworth

John Haworth was the son of Henry Haworth of Hulme Walfield, one of the two major landowners in Rudyard at the beginning of the 19th century.  It was John who had Cliffe Park Hall built.

Fanny Bostock
Post
6th May 20153rd June 2015

Fanny Bostock

Fanny Bostock was born in Horton about 1797 and lived most of her life at Cliffe Park Hall, built by her cousin and lover, John Haworth.  She died there a spinster on 19 March  1875. We do not have a photograph of her but we do have copies of these two paintings. The first dates...

Cliff Park as a Youth Hostel
Post
1st May 201527th May 2015

Cliff Park as a Youth Hostel

Cliff Park Hall was leased  to the Youth Hostels Association by the LMS Railway Company in 1933, opening it’s doors on the 1st June that year. Rudyard Lake Hostel proved to be one of their more popular venues. After the war the hostel was in dire need of renovation. The new owners, British Rail, were unwilling to...