Rudyard Lake Steam Railway
Post
31st January 201531st May 2015

Rudyard Lake Steam Railway

The current 10.25 inch gauge railway at Rudyard dates from 1985.  It was built by Peter Hanton of Congleton working largely on his own over the period from 1985 to 1993;  click here to view his account of its development.  Sadly, he started to suffer from poor health and so sold the railway in October 2000...

Boathouses
Post
31st January 201512th June 2015

Boathouses

There are several Victorian boathouses on the banks of the lake, most of which have been modified over the years. The Earl of Macclesfield Boathouse was built in the 1850’s for the Earl’s use and is the oldest boathouse on the lake. The interior originally consisted of a small room with windows overlooking both the...

History of the North Staffordshire Railway
Post
30th January 20158th May 2015

History of the North Staffordshire Railway

A Short History of The North Staffordshire Railway Company The following extract is taken from the 1908 edition of The Official Illustrated Guide to the District Adjacent to the North Staffordshire Railway. The Company was formed in 1847, with a capital of £5,820,000, but twelve years previously a committee had been formed, to whom Mr....

Tearooms
Post
29th January 201530th May 2015

Tearooms

One has to imagine a time when what was really quite an isolated community in the Staffordshire Moorlands was almost overnight converted to a tourist destination owing to the arrival of the railway.  Throngs of people arriving from the towns and cities required entertainment and refreshment and the generally low paid inhabitants grasped at the opportunity to...

Cliffe Park Hall
Post
29th January 201519th February 2016

Cliffe Park Hall

Cliffe Park Hall, at the north end of the lake, was built by John Haworth and his cousin, the Reverend James Bostock, in 1811 at a cost said to be £25,000.  On the death of John Haworth in 1831, it passed to his cousin Fanny Bostock.  During her ownership of the hall, she brought legal actions...

Rudyard Railway Station
Post
27th January 201531st May 2015

Rudyard Railway Station

Rudyard railway station served Rudyard, Staffordshire and was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) in 1850 on the Churnet Valley line.  In the village, the NSR also owned the Rudyard Hotel as part of the company’s efforts to develop Rudyard Lake and its environs as a tourist destination.  The  station master lived at the...

North Staffordshire Railway
Post
27th January 201524th August 2015

North Staffordshire Railway

The North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) was a British railway company formed in 1845 to promote a number of lines in the Staffordshire Potteries and surrounding areas in Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire and Shropshire. The company was based in Stoke-on-Trent and was nicknamed The Knotty; its lines were built to the standard gauge of 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm).  The...

John Rennie
Post
27th January 20153rd June 2015

John Rennie

John Rennie (1761 – 1821) was a Scottish civil engineer.  He was the son of an East Lothian farmer, taking an interest in mechanical works at a young age.  He matriculated from Edinburgh university which he left in 1783.  After some years designing machinery, in particular using metal components where previously wood had been used,...

Opening of Rudyard Lake Visitors Centre 2001
Post
26th January 201512th June 2015

Opening of Rudyard Lake Visitors Centre 2001

The newly completed Visitors Centre was opened in 2001 by the Earl of Macclesfield accompanied by Mr Ray Perry chairman of the Rudyard Lake Trust. This was the conversion of a 150 year old boathouse along with which a new toilet block and changing rooms. This building is currently being transformed into a state of...

Post
26th January 20153rd June 2015

Volunteering

Volunteers are needed at Rudyard Lake.  The lake and its surroundings and associated buildings need constant upkeep and regular maintenance. Whatever your abilities we need help with clearing litter, laying paths, replacing fence posts, painting and repairing boats, maintaining the Visitors Centre, scanning old photos for our archives etc. etc. Jane Williams – Leek  I...